The Shire of Nannup was founded in 1834. It covers an area of 2,953 square km and embraces the town and localities of Nannup, Donnelly River, Bidelia, Carlotta, Cundinup, Scott River, Lake Jasper, Darradup and Barrabup.
The Shire of Nannup is the second largest Shire in the South West Region with 149 kilometres of sealed and 387 kilometres of unsealed roads.
In general the population of 1262 (2011 census) is spread throughout the Shire district with about half of the population residing in the Nannup townsite. The word “Nannup” comes from the Noongar people and interprets as “stopping place”. The Shire of Nannup is bounded by the Shires of Augusta-Margaret River to the west, Manjimup to the south-east, Bridgetown-Greenbushes to the north-east, Donnybrook-Balingup to the north and Busselton to the north-west. The Southern Ocean defines the southern boundary.